A protected and sheltered place to get into social networking for students and teachers is Edmodo, where you can create a micro blogging platform with built-in security features.
Edmodo is a free online social network for both teachers as well as students to share ideas, files, events and assignments. You will be able to build a micro blogging platform through the official website (Edmodo.com), which permits teacher to share information with their students. Edmodo is a free service available online and best portray as Twitter for students and teachers. With an emphasis on rapid communication, polling, share links and videos, etc, Edmodo is intended.
Edmodo – Social learning network for Teachers, Students, Schools and Districts
Principally for schools Edmodo is a private micro-blogging service with built-in security features, which present teachers privacy controls over their virtual classrooms. The site allows teachers affirm grades, configure classes, assign projects and yet accept submissions. All forms of digital content are stored and shared by Edmodo such as blogs, links, documents, presentations, pictures, video, and more. For schools and districts, Edmodo has unique institutional features that can be accessed by administrators for free.
To address the demands of teachers and students looking for a secure social network for classroom use, Edmodo was created by two school district web professionals (Jeff O’Hara and Nick Borg) with education experts in 2008. A privately held company Edmodo is based in Mountain View, California and available online or with any mobile device, together with Android and iPhones. In February 2010 the site was obtained by the Fusion Projects, a subsidiary of Revolution Learning. Since launch the site has undergone constant growth, and over 200,000 students and teachers have signed up for the service. The website seems similar to Facebook, however it integrate many features of other CMS services like Blackboard or Moodle.
Edmodo.com – Free online social network
When you visit the website, you will see it in just two colors i.e. white and blue. With simple and sober look, it looks very attractive. On the top-center of the homepage logo is provided, and just below it view the login section. Teachers/students who have already Sign up before can mention Username or Email, Password and then press login button.
Just at the center of the homepage, you can observe the option Sign up now, it’s free. Registration is necessary to use the site so user must finish signup as a teacher or as a student. Select from two types of buttons: “I’m a Student” or “I’m a Teacher“.
I’m a Student: You can directly contact your instructors, message other students, join up in the public debate spaces, and yet access Edmodo from your mobile phone by means of their mobile-optimized page to check assignments and more as a student.
1. Students can sign up by providing group code (code that your teacher will get when they form the group), username, password, email (opt), first name, last name, agree to their terms and conditions, then click on sign up button.
2. View list of groups which you have joined only after sign in/login. Please be ready with the access code and press ‘join’ button, if you desire to connect with other groups.
3. On the topmost part of the page, there are three navigations including “Calendar”, “Grades” and “Library”. In calendar you can view dates and more, see various grades in grades category where as discover all the files and links sent to you or any of your groups in the library navigation.
4. Store all of your important materials associated to your study in the library. Files can also be added to your library by Choosing file under Add files below option and then click on ‘Add to library’ button.
5. Other great place that you may like to view is “Settings,” at which you can modify your picture as well as complete your personal details. For changing image, select any of the obtainable pictures or upload your own.
6. If you want to receive any sort of notification or event that you should be notified on then also you can set here. Email and text message are also the alternatives but note that as their option every person cannot opt text messages as it exists for users of numerous major phone providers only.
I’m a Teacher: Teachers create their accounts within Edmodo and then create a class group. A code is generated by creating the class group. To sign up for Edmodo, Students must use this code. Regarding assignments teachers can reply and comment to students however students cannot message directly each other. Also at their school teachers can connect with other teachers, or invite teachers from other schools.
1. For teachers, the sign up process is little bit different. Teachers have to provide Username, Password, Email, Title (select from Mr., Mrs, Ms., Dr.), enter First name, Last name, read terms of their service and then click on Sign up button.
2. You will reach on the Edmodo home page after login/sign in. It looks like Facebook but to make it well for learning point there are a few modifications. You will find on this page Everything, what to do now, spotlights, suggestions, filters, tags, etc.
3. For sending Notes, Alerts, Assignments, and Polls to fellow students or other teachers, the modernize area is “adjusted” as a means. Fill up two boxes, type your note here and send to then attach with file, link or library.
4. Teachers can easily send assignments by providing title of assignment, describe the assignment, due date, attach the file/link/library and that’s all. Remember to select recipients (teachers in your network, or students from your study group) prior to clicking the “Send” button.
5. To create groups also teachers have the freedom. They can create it by giving exclusive group name, choosing a grade such as 5th, 8th, 10th, Higher Education, etc, choosing a subject area like science, math, computer, etc.
6. Afterwards it will be displayed that your group has been created. The access code of the group will be also shown for example, zhzm3r. Do not forget to notify your students regarding the code as they cannot connect the group without it.
7. Now you can view some basic things, which you must complete to make your account entirely serviceable. Basic things might include specify your school, turn on your notifications, add content to your library, etc.
Image courtesy: makeuseof.com
In the bottom of the website Blog, Schools & Districts, Communities, and Help section are given.
Blog: The Assignment and Gradebook enrichment have been positively received on the blog as per the opinion they received through Edmodo messages, email, twitter and comments.
Schools and Districts: When school or district signs up, Teachers obtain even more from Edmodo as well as a set of customizable features built for their schools are received by school leaders and administrators.
Communities: To suggested web content, which you can rapidly add to your Edmodo library and share with your students connect with teachers. Parts of Edmodo communities are also principal digital content publishers that make discovering and allotment huge Internet content fast and easy.
Help: The Edmodo Community powers the Help center. This section includes several categories such as In-Depth Teacher Stories, Spanish Language Edmodo Guide, Become an Edmodo Advocate, Connect with the Edmodo Community, Edmodo Webinars, Latest News, and more.
Edmodo Overview video from youtube: