The Border Roads Organization is a combination of Border Roads Engineering Service (BRES) officers from General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF) and officers from the Corps of Engineers of the Indian Army to maintain roads that serve the borders areas of India. The Border Roads Organization is renowned by ‘The BRO’. Www.bro.nic.in is an official website of Border Roads Organization (The BRO).
‘The BRO’ has completed its 50 years of excellence. There are many specifications given on its website at the left side of the home page, like About BRO, Vision, Mission, Role, Organisation, Directorates, IIBE, Procurement, Procurement Procedure, Copy Right, Photogallery, Download, Other Projects, Tenders, Purchase Details, Retired Officers, Employees Information, FAQ, News, Contact BRO, Related Website, Search, Home and Hindi Version.
At the top right side of the home page there are three navigations like Home, Guest Book and BRO Only. In Home page, a DG’s message is given. In Guest Book, there are few blanks like Name, Address, Phone, E Mail ID, Query/Comment, and code space are given in format for your opinion then click on submit bar. ‘Bro only’ navigation is for BRO Users to log in by entering ‘Username’ and ‘Password’ then click on ‘submit’ bar.
In tender navigation get latest tender headline with last date and detail alters by downloading the PDF file of The Border Roads Organisation.
The BRO was established on 7 May, 1960, then Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru as the chairman of the Border Roads Development Board, as an inter-ministerial organisation. Development and maintenance of arterial roads is the work of this organisation, which have strategic importance for the Indian Army. Aspire of the BRO’s activities is to step up the economic development of the North and North Eastern Border States. The roads construction teams have to deal with some of the unpleasant climatic conditions in the world. The BRO faces dreadful hurdles like the icy Himalayan tops, the marshes of West Bengal and the deserts in Rajasthan. Road constructions and maintenance at high altitude in the hills are commenced by BRO. Few BRO roads are built as high as 6,000 metres (19,685 ft) above mean sea level.
The fundamental unit of the BRO is similar to a platoon. The building of permanent and temporary bridges, causeways and construction of airfields also comes under the ambit of the BRO. The BRO is composed of 15 Projects, which are divided into Task Forces which are further subdivided into RCCs (Road Construction Companies), workshops, store & supply & Transport convoy. BRO is also in charge of maintenance of its networks. In many places landslides, avalanches and snow block the routes and have to clear as quickly as possible. BRO also employs the local populace in the task thus providing a steady employment to the peoples of the border areas. Following are the other projects of The Border Roads Organization,
- GREF Centre
- HQ DGBR
- PERS DTE
- Rohtang Tunnel
Nation’s most reputed, multifaceted, trans-national, modern construction organization committed to meeting the strategic needs of the armed forces with enlightened leadership, a strong, skilled and committed work force, a well ingrained value system and a strong environment conscience. Play a national role in socio-economic development through its large scale contribution to infrastructure development.
- To create the environment for accurate, real time and effective decision making through optimizing use of information technology.
- Through a focus on core competencies; ensure the highest level of skill and proficiency in construction activity.
- To sustain a sense of values in the organization that will ensure a high level of self-esteem in each individual and immeasurable synergy in the Organisation.
- To help enrich the quality of life of the community and ensure all-round growth.
- To support the armed forces meet their strategic needs by committed, dedicated and cost effective development and sustenance of the infrastructure.
- To achieve international levels of quality excellence and time consciousness in a diversified sphere of construction activity in a cost effective manner.
- Optimise potential and expertise through increased involvement in agency, trans-national and national development projects.
- To attain leadership in development, adoption, assimilation and use of state of the art technology.
1. To develop and maintain the operational road infrastructure of the general staff in the border areas.
2. Contribute to the socio-economic development of the Border States.
1. To develop & maintain roads to keep the line of control through in original sectors and re-deployed sectors.
2. To execute additional tasks as laid down by the government thus contributing to the war effort.