Workfare is an alternative model to conventional social welfare systems, which provides support to low-income workers so they have the best chance to progress. It is a key pillar of Singapore’s social Security landscape. Www.workfare.sg is the official site of the Singapore’s workfare scheme, which offers workfare Income Supplement and Workfare Training Support Schemes to support low-wage workers. From Singapore workfare site you will get full information about workfare and its scheme also get other information like CPF (Central provident fund) board retirement plans, calculators and e-service. Workfare will be holistic scheme that supplements the incomes and CPF savings of low-wage workers, encourages work, and improves their abilities and employability for the future.
Workfare Income Supplement Scheme (WIS)
Workfare Income Supplement Scheme was announced during the 2007 Budget Speech for extra wages, encourage older low-wage workers to work regularly and build up their CPF savings. For employees, a major component of WIS goes towards building up their CPF assets while a portion of WIS is paid in cash to help employees meet their immediate wants. WIS is paid into their CPF Medisave Account for self-employed persons. Workfare Income Supplement Scheme offers an income supplement for low income workers at the same time as preserving the work ethic by its emphasis on satisfying work.
WIS key enhancements:
- The income threshold to qualify for WIS will be raised from $1,500 to $1,700 from 2010 onwards.
- WIS payment quantum is also increased. For example, the maximum WIS that a worker aged 60 and above can receive will also increase from $2,400 to $2,800.
Eligibility criteria for WIS
- Be a Singapore Citizen;
- Have a monthly salary of up to $1,500
- Be above 35 yrs of age as at 1st Jan 2009
- Stay in a property with an Annual Value of $10,000 or less as at 31 Dec 2007;
- Work at least three months in any six month period in the calendar year for half the payout, or at least six months in the calendar year for the full payout.
To get more information about Workfare Income Supplement Scheme, You can call at their hotline at 1800-222-6622 (Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm).
Workfare Training Support (WTS) Scheme
Therewith, workfare also helps low income workers teach and upgrade, so they can progress and leave of low-wage employment. The main goal of the Workfare Training Support (WTS) Scheme is to encourage employers for sending their adult low income workers for training, and workers to go for and complete training. The WTS is affected from 1st July, 2010 and run until 3 years period.
Workfare Training Support (WTS) Scheme includes three components:
- An Employer Grant that provides 90% to 95% course fee subsidies and absentee payroll funding for employers who send their low-wage workers for training;
- A Training Commitment Award of up to $400 a year for WIS recipients who complete the requisite training modules; and
- Workfare-Skill Up to provide customized training programmes for low-skilled workers, especially those without secondary education. This covers all low-skilled workers regardless of their employment status.
To get more information about WorkfareTraining Support (WTS) Scheme, you can call at 1800-536-8333 (Mon-Fri: 8.30am to 8pm, Sat: 8.30am to 1pm).
Source : www.workfare.sg